Thursday, August 14, 2014

Fabric That Makes You Say "OOOH"

A year or so ago I was in my favourite fabric store Lensmills nabbing some fabric for a custom order.
Then while perusing the aisles (cuz you CAN'T not look ...just in case) I had an "OOH" moment.

You know. That moment when you see fabric the looks SO juicy and ripe and gorgeous that you just have to have it...you stop to pet it and before you know it... your cart or arms is piled high with these luscious creatures....what fun times you will have together...romping through fields of notions together, and...oops. Sorry. I digress. (I've been watching a LOT of Jane Austen movies lately; sorry.)

Anyway you see fabric that is simply so appealing to you - you have to have it.

I had that moment. I exclaimed out loud. I giggled when I carried it up to the cutting table. I winced as the lady pulled out the shears and slid through the weft and it made that sizzling sound....sorry. Austen effect again.

I'll stop now and just show you, shall I?


This quilt is twin sized; and I used a vintage solid wool blanket for batting.

I used a 1 inch hot pink fabric for sashing; and used up a ton of bias tape scraps to bind this bad boy.

A soft sage green vintage sheet is the backing fabric

The wool blanket makes it thick and heavy; doesn't fold well for photos!

I free motion quilted large swoops and swirls in a random pattern; because of the wool blanket batting I used a heavier gauge needle and switched it out half way. 

Wrestling this quilt was harder than usual because of the wool blanket. Don't know if I'd do that again but man. So warm!!!

Usually I put my finished quilts over at my Etsy shop; but sorry. This baby is mine!!!


  • Other sewing projects this week:
  •  
  • UFOs: Finishing up my hot pink library bag
  • Making a few more low-volume squares for my Low Volume Scrap Quilt
  • Cutting strips for my Scraptastic Squares Quilt
  • Finishing up a Gift for a very good pal's 50th birthday
  • Three other tops to batt, quilt & bind


Listening To:
"Happy" Playlist - a good mix of current top 40 and some oldies mixed in

Watching:
Pride & Prejudice - 1995 Colin Firth Version
Austenland
Lost in Austen

What Else is Goin On:

Watching our bird feeder for glimpses of the elusive Albino Sparrow we've been seeing
Planning Mr. J's bday dinner next week
Decluttering my desk/office of 10 years of paperwork and pieces of paper that I had to keep for some reason.


What's going on in your world? How many UFOS is too many, do you think?? Am I the only one with sewing ADD? Laugh. What's cookin' at your place tonite....I'm dying to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Make sure to leave your blog addy so I can reciprocate! Have a wonderful day.