Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Rainbow Starflower Quilt




Back in 2010, when I had just discovered the amazing Blogging world; I stumbled upon all these wonderful Quilting Blogs. Several I read daily, some I read weekly. But one has helped me with detailed and patient tutorials.... 


As a beginner; her tutorials are so clearly written, and easy to understand, I was inspired and encouraged. 
And THIS block, in particular, caught my attention.

I love bright colours. I love rainbows, I love stars. I love it all!!


And so I went and bought the required fabrics, and hoarded them. Looked at them, kept them in my sewing cabinet top drawer. To make "one day".
One Day.
Well finally, having the time now to devote to full time sewing, I have been able to make "One Day" happen.

This quilt is going to be a Anniversary gift for the ever-patient, thread-covered-but-loves-me-anyway Mr. J. (But hey; he gets to be the recipe taster, so it's not all bad!)

Here is the process; I encourage YOU to be inspired and make YOUR "One Day' happen!
Moda Cotton & Moda Bella Solids in convenient Charm Packs made this even easier.

Getting the layout right was a bit of a challenge at first; but you get the hang of it!

Again the layout helped a LOT with this part; lining up the centre blocks.

Getting all the matched up blocks ready for chain-piecing.

VERY important to remember to snip off the little corners! Dont' skip this step!

Lined up again; getting ready to sew all the blocks together. I will point out here that I wanted a queen sized quilt; so I used the full five inch blocks so make the finished block about 16.5 inches.

And finished block! Corner blocks need to be trimmed down slightly. But after pressing all the points matched up! I was very happy.....but oh yes, there was much ripping of seams and redoing with several of the blocks.

Measure, measure measure!


Adding the borders, corners and sashing. I wanted the BG to be dark, like the night sky. :)




Borders added! Kona Ash, Kona Charcoal squares and sashing.





Of course, NO quilt top is completed until Muffin has inspected and cleared it.

Muffin Approved!

Yes, needs a final pressing but  other than that,  all done!

I will finish this after Thanksgiving (which is Columbus Day for my American Friends) and will have it on our bed for our Anniversary in November. :)
**Note: While THIS quilt is Not For Sale; you can always custom order this in Twin/Queen sized. Please Email for a quote. Different backgrounds, star fabrics, you name it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Make sure to leave your blog addy so I can reciprocate! Have a wonderful day.